Key information: Balaitous
- A very remote, pristine, but rough (even savage) wilderness around a tough, rocky peak on the border ridge, the most westerly of the peaks over 3,000m. The high area is often bare rock nestling some lovely lakes.
- Complex layout - a maze of valleys, ridges and cliffs make approaching the heart of the area a challenge in itself.
- Three different routes get you to the superbly sited Refuge d'Arré Moulit. And other refuges enable multi-day routes as well as a tough but magnificent full-day ascent on which ropes and a safety helmet are advised.
- This can be tough walking in high, remote mountains, with unpredictable weather. Come prepared.
This page is at an early stage of development. Please help us by making suggestions and sending photos! Thank you!
For more information and photos, including on wildlife and the landscape and including detailed practical information and some warnings, see our French Pyrenees walk page.
- Walkopedia rating82
- Natural interest16
- Human interest2
- Negative points0
- Total rating82
- Length: Variable
- Level of Difficulty: Strenuous
This walk description page is at an early stage of development, and will be expanded over time. Your comments on this walk, your experiences and tips, and your photos are very welcome.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more