Grand Bohinj Horseshoe
Key information: Grand Bohinj Horseshoe
- The name Grand Bohinj Horseshoe is our own invention and offers a splendid 5 day trail over high country, giving beautiful and varied scenery and views while walking from refuge to refuge before tackling Mount Triglav, at 2,864m the highest in Slovenia.
- The Triglav National Park both protects alpine wildlife and contains perfect mountain villages and remote farmsteads, offering an insight into traditional ways of life.
- This can be tough walking in high, remote mountains with unpredictable weather.
- Walkopedia rating91
- Natural interest17
- Human interest8
- Negative points0
- Total rating91
- Length: Your choice
- Maximum Altitude: 2,864m
- Level of Difficulty: Variable
The relatively undiscovered Julian Alps (think Dolomites without the crowds) fills north-west Solvenia offering superb Alpine walking, with outstanding natural beauty and spectacular views. The area's favourable climate and plentiful rainfall support a wide variety of flora and fauna.
The name Grand Bohinj Horseshoe is our invention. We designed what seemed to be the best possible 5 day walk (all the time we had), giving beautiful and varied scenery and views, walking from refuge to refuge on the high ground before tackling Triglav.
Walkopedia walked the first half of this in September 2015, from the top of the Vogel cable car, west and then north along the Lower Bohinj Ridge to the Razov and Komna huts, then up the gorgeous Triglav Lakes Valley up to the Prehodavcih hut with its outstanding views across the drama of the high range. We were then going to cross the Hribarice high land below Triglav to the Planika hut, climb Triglav and head back down. 5 magical and very varied days. (We had to abandon our final days because of terrible weather and early snow - we'll be back!)
PLEASE SEE OUR JULIAN ALPS PAGE FOR FURTHER PHOTOS AND GENERAL AND PRACTICAL INFORMATION INCLUDING:
- BEST TIMES TO WALK/WEATHER
- GETTING THERE/TRANSPORT/PERMITS
- POSSIBLE PROBLEMS, HEALTH AND OTHER PROBLEMS
- GUIDED OR INDEPENDENT
- USEFUL WEBSITES AND INFORMATION
- OTHER THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA
PLEASE help us BY RECOMMENDING YOUR BEST WALKS giving us your comments AND SENDING PHOTOS! Thank you!
WILLIAM MACKESY'S ACCOUNT
of this walk
Day 1 � Bohinj to Razor hut
We�re off from our hotel near the base of the Bohinj lake at 8:40am � only 10 minutes late. It is a crystalline early autumn day, but for a layer of fog over the lake which is vanishing around the edges as we watch. Our destination, the mountains at the end of the lake, soar temptingly far above the cloud.
We walk through the woods on the north bank, the sun slanting through the beech woods, gaining regular glimpses across the still lake. Trout lie lazily in the clear shallows. A charming, 5km leg�loosener.
By the incoming stream at the.....READ MORE
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Any person who is considering undertaking this walk should do careful research and make their own assessment of the risks, dangers and possible problems involved. They should also go to “Important information” for further important information.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more