Great St Bernard Pass
Key information: Great St Bernard Pass
- Cross the high Alps on perhaps the greatest of the ancient crossings, in the footsteps of pilgrims, soldiers (from Romans to (possibly) Hannibal to Napoleon), traders and endless others.
- Follow Roman roads on both sides of the pass and continue along The Via Francigeua all the way to Rome.
- You can walk from Bourg St. Pierre to St. Rhemy (in Italy) in one day.
- The scenery is lovely, but the pass has a well-used road so you won?t be alone.
- Walkopedia rating84
- Natural interest16
- Human interest8
- Negative points5
- Total rating84
- Note: Neg: cars and tourism
- Length: Day Walk
- Maximum Altitude: 2,066m
- Level of Difficulty: Moderate
This walk description page is at an early stage of development, and will be expanded over time. Your comments on this walk, your experiences and tips, and your photos are very welcome.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more