Welcome to Walkopedia, our interactive directory of the world’s best walks and hikes.
Our 700th walk is loaded!
This website offers great inspiration for walking and traveling! Every time I come to visit here I want to start walking any other trail.... (Johnnywalker)
Just discovered this website, what a fantastic resource. Time to plan some more walks! Gaby
Brilliant site! Wow! Its all here. Finally something to really get your teeth into. The photos the ratings the descriptions the information are absolutley fantastic and spot on..... Thank you Walkopedia your finger is on the pulse, your feet on the right trail. Walkers of the world unite indeed! Bill Peel (7.2013)
- View the Winter 2013 edition: Myanmar’s marvels
- View the Autumn 2013 edition: The beauties of Scotland’s Aberdeenshire in Summer
- View the Summer 2013 edition: Tasmania
- View other past editions, including the world's best walk and much more
- To have as close to a complete collection of the world’s great walks and hikes as can be achieved, by 2020. This requires daunting levels of research - and walking - and help from walk lovers like you. So, please give us your suggestions and comments.
- To give you good travel writing about, and pictures of, the best walks and hikes and some walk-related fun and competitions.
- To give you good information and links, to help you plan an expedition.
If you enjoy and value our site, please help us (at no cost to you) by buying your books, maps and other needs through our Amazon link.
And by telling friends about our site.
THE WORLD'S 100 BEST WALKS: as walked and selected by William Mackesy
Identifying the best walks requires a system as well as stamina:but what are the essential ingredients of a great walk? Outstanding beauty is not sufficient on its own (there are thousands of beautiful walks). It is some special charisma, often combined with a natural wonder or historical or artistic association, which propels a walk into the highest ranks. Adjustments are needed for miseries such as crowding and altitude. See our walks assessment system, which we have developed to balance between these varied factors.
See our provisional list of the world’s 100 best walks, with ratings. These preliminary rankings will be revised for further candidates and adjusted markings. You can help to develop the final, definitive, list. Your suggestions for candidates, and comments on walks on the list, will be very welcome.
Click here to see William’s personal favourites walks.
Here are some essential tools for your travel research:
Information and review
Finding flights, organising travel
Equipment & Clothing
Books and Maps
Holidays and Activities
If you enjoy and value our site, please help us at no cost to yourself by using these links.
... matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference – for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more
You can join our community and help to develop the final, definitive, Top 100 list and a full collection of the world’s best walks and hikes. Your suggestions for candidates, and comments on walks on this website, will be very welcome. You can:
- recommend a walk, or submit your own description of a favourite walk;
- suggest additions or changes to an existing walk description and our walks assessments, including your tips, tales and photos; and
- give us other feedback or comments.
What you will need to do and take with you, including an extensive check and packing list.
The first edition of our beautiful and intriguing online magazine appears in January 09. Click here to receive free copies... it won't take long! Subscribe for our Walkopedia online Magazine and enter our £300 draw
Tell a friend about Walkopedia
Enter details to tell a friend:
Countries with highest concentration of the world's best walks
|Country||No. in Top 100||% of all walks|
We are planning to feature good charity walks from around the world. Let us know of any charity walks you would like us to feature!
WALK OF THE MONTH
Tai Shan, China
- China's most sacred Taoist mountain, 1,545m of broken cliffs and boulders in which twisted little pines make a precarious living.
- Huge cultural importance: some 3,000 years of religious significance have left a marvellous array of temples, pavilions, gates and calligraphy everywhere.
- As one of China's most famous sites, it is usually very crowded: think people-watching, not quiet communion with nature.
- This is a tough walk of over 6,000 steps. Some fitness will help - and come prepared for mountain weather.
- Feb 2014: our 700th walk is loaded!
- Jan 2014: 327,000 page views in 2013
Hardly google, but still 70% growth
- Dec 2013: our winter magazine: Myanmar's marvels
- Nov 2013: our Autumn magazine: The beauties of Scotland's Aberdeenshire
...and the best heather ever in summer 2013?
- Oct 2103: can't wait to share the beauty of the Pyrenees
Just back from the high country, walking across the range from France to Spain and back, and it is exceptionally interesting as well as the harsh beauty you would expect
- Walk the cliff-top path from Stonehaven to one of the world's most romantic castles, Dunottar, on its rocky promontory into the cold North Sea.
SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU
- We have been told that it is not currently possible to walk the full Cinque Terre route due to landslides, but this is not mentioned much on the internet. Does anyone have any more information?
- Charity walks: we are planning to have a focus on good charity walks (it will take a while to change the site)... in the meantime let us know of great upcoming walks around the world - the longer the notice, the better!
- What is your favourite walk, and why? How would it rate using our system?