Welcome to Walkopedia, our interactive directory of the world’s best walks and hikes.
Our 750th walk is loaded!
Brilliant site! Wow! Its all here. Finally something to really get your teeth into. The photos the ratings the descriptions the information are absolutley fantastic and spot on..... Thank you Walkopedia your finger is on the pulse, your feet on the right trail. Walkers of the world unite indeed! Bill Peel (7.2013)
- View the Spring/Summer 2014 edition: Crossing the Pyrenees
- View the Winter 2013 edition: Myanmar’s marvels
- View the Autumn 2013 edition: The beauties of Scotland's Aberdeenshire in Summer
- View other past editions, including the world's best walk and much more
- To have as close to a complete collection of the world’s great walks and hikes as can be achieved, by 2020. This requires daunting levels of research - and walking - and help from walk lovers like you. So, please give us your suggestions and comments.
- To give you good travel writing about, and pictures of, the best walks and hikes and some walk-related fun and competitions.
- To give you good information and links, to help you plan an expedition.
If you enjoy and value our site, please help us (at no cost to you) by buying your books, maps and other needs through our Amazon link.
And by telling friends about our site.
THE WORLD'S 100 BEST WALKS: as walked and selected by William Mackesy
Identifying the best walks requires a system as well as stamina:but what are the essential ingredients of a great walk? Outstanding beauty is not sufficient on its own (there are thousands of beautiful walks). It is some special charisma, often combined with a natural wonder or historical or artistic association, which propels a walk into the highest ranks. Adjustments are needed for miseries such as crowding and altitude. See our walks assessment system, which we have developed to balance between these varied factors.
See our provisional list of the world’s 100 best walks, with ratings. These preliminary rankings will be revised for further candidates and adjusted markings. You can help to develop the final, definitive, list. Your suggestions for candidates, and comments on walks on the list, will be very welcome.
Click here to see William’s personal favourites walks.
Here are some essential tools for your travel research:
Information and review
Finding flights, organising travel
Equipment & Clothing
Books and Maps
Holidays and Activities
If you enjoy and value our site, please help us at no cost to yourself by using these links.
... matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference – for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more
You can join our community and help to develop the final, definitive, Top 100 list and a full collection of the world’s best walks and hikes. Your suggestions for candidates, and comments on walks on this website, will be very welcome. You can:
- recommend a walk, or submit your own description of a favourite walk;
- suggest additions or changes to an existing walk description and our walks assessments, including your tips, tales and photos; and
- give us other feedback or comments.
What you will need to do and take with you, including an extensive check and packing list.
The first edition of our beautiful and intriguing online magazine appears in January 09. Click here to receive free copies... it won't take long! Subscribe for our Walkopedia online Magazine and enter our £300 draw
Tell a friend about Walkopedia
Enter details to tell a friend:
Countries with highest concentration of the world's best walks
|Country||No. in Top 100||% of all walks|
We are planning to feature good charity walks from around the world. Let us know of any charity walks you would like us to feature!
WALK OF THE MONTH
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
- Hike through a lunar landscape of craters, old lava flows, pumice and tuff, on this remarkable volcanic archipelago.
- Experience the diverse, and often beautiful, wildlife of the "little world within itself", which was to inspire a significant swathe of Darwin's work on evolutionary theory: slow moving giant tortoises, the brightly coloured blue-footed boobies, marine iguanas, fur seals and, of course, Darwin's finches.
- This astonishing piece of world heritage is threatened by the rapid pace of economic development on the islands, and as a result there are strict controls in place for visitors: you will rarely be able to walk independently here.
- June 2014: working away at Pyrenees pages
Working away at a huge batch of 20 or more Pyrenees pages, including the amazing Gavarnie/Ordesa circuit. What a glorious area.
- April 2014: we are receiving page visits at an annual rate of 500,000 for the first time
- Feb 2014: our 700th walk is loaded!
- Jan 2014: 327,000 page views in 2013
Hardly google, but still 70% growth
- Dec 2013: our winter magazine: Myanmar's marvels
Breche de Roland, Pyrenees,France/Spain
- A spectacular ascent to the famous Breche de Roland, a breach in the wall of cliffs that forms the national border high above the even more famous Cirque de Gavarnie.
- This is the finest day walk in the Gavarnie area, indeed one of the finest in the whole Pyrenees.
- This can be tough walking in high, remote mountains. Come prepared.
SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU
- We have been told that it is not currently possible to walk the full Cinque Terre route due to landslides, but this is not mentioned much on the internet. Does anyone have any more information?
- Charity walks: we are planning to have a focus on good charity walks (it will take a while to change the site)... in the meantime let us know of great upcoming walks around the world - the longer the notice, the better!
- What is your favourite walk, and why? How would it rate using our system?