Key information: Mount Kyaiktiyo
- Pilgrimage path to a huge golden boulder balanced above a mountain-top cliff east of Yangon.
- One of Myanmar's most sacred places; pilgrims have been climbing the mountain for centuries along an ancient and atmospheric trail.
- One hour from the roadhead, but steep and hot. You can climb from the bottom, but it is 11 or so steep and broiling kilometres (up to 6 hrs), so most people climb into a 4 wheel drive.
- Try to get there for dawn or dusk.
- The throngs of pilgrims both create and destroy atmosphere - expect crowds and stalls much of the way.
THIS PAGE IS AT AN EARLY STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT. PLEASE HELP US BY MAKING SUGGESTIONS AND SENDING PHOTOS. THANK YOU!
- Walkopedia rating72
- Natural interest14
- Human interest18
- Negative points10
- Total rating72
- Note: Negs: crowding and vending
- Length: 1hr to 6hrs
- Level of Difficulty: Strenuous
This walk description page is at an early stage of development, and will be expanded over time. Your comments on this walk, your experiences and tips, and your photos are very welcome.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Safety and problems: All walks have inherent risks and potential problems, and many of the walks featured on this website involve significant risks, dangers and problems. Problems of any sort can arise on any walk. This website does not purport to identify any (or all) actual or potential risks, dangers and problems that may relate to any particular walk.
Any person who is considering undertaking this walk should do careful research and make their own assessment of the risks, dangers and possible problems involved. They should also go to “Important information” for further important information.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more