Key information: Ak Tepe
- Fantastic walking over and around this high mesa (table hill): extraordinary views and atmosphere.
- Try to fit in a walk here while in the Goreme area.
- This page is still at an early stage of development: please let us have your ideas and photos!
- Walkopedia rating90
- Natural interest17
- Human interest8
- Negative points0
- Total rating90
- Length: Variable
- Maximum Altitude: Strenuous
- Level of Difficulty: Variable
The Goreme area's dominant landmark is the mesa (table hill) of Ak Tepe (the White Hill), some 300m above the region's trademark valleys and sites, rocky weirdnesses and troglodyte chambers and dwellings. This area makes superb walking, and a wander around this high ground should not be missed while in the area.
- Skirt the western flanks, walking from the remarkable but crowded Devrent Valley to dramatic Zelve with its many dwellings and churches, to the relatively recently abandoned Cavucin.
- Cross the top of the mesa from Devrent to Cavucin: outstanding walking and huge views over the area.
- Contour the mesa flank, facing Goreme, above the eroded valley heads but below the great cliffs, on a thrilling path from above Cavucin to the south-eastern end towards Urgup.
There are no formal, signed paths as such, so, unless you can find your way reasonably easily, take great care of cliffs and other hazards. Get a guide if uncomfortable.
See our Cappadocia page for further detailed information on the area.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Safety and problems: All walks have inherent risks and potential problems, and many of the walks featured on this website involve significant risks, dangers and problems. Problems of any sort can arise on any walk. This website does not purport to identify any (or all) actual or potential risks, dangers and problems that may relate to any particular walk.
Any person who is considering undertaking this walk should do careful research and make their own assessment of the risks, dangers and possible problems involved. They should also go to “Important information” for further important information.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more