Key information: Lake Bohinj
- Gorgeous Lake Bohinj offers a variety of walks for everyone, from a tour of the lake and other lower-level saunters (including around the lake and to Slap Savica waterfall), to low peaks, or to high ridge traverses and summit assaults, including the easiest ascent of great Mount Triglav.
- The Triglav National Park both protects alpine wildlife and contains perfect mountain villages and remote farmsteads, offering an insight into traditional ways of life.
- This can be tough walking in high, remote mountains with unpredictable weather.
- Walkopedia rating84
- Natural interest15
- Human interest10
- Negative points2
- Total rating84
- Note: Neg: popularity
- Length: Your choice
- Maximum Altitude: 526m
- Level of Difficulty: Variable
The relatively undiscovered Julian Alps (think Dolomites without the crowds) fills north-west Solvenia, offering superb Alpine walking, with outstanding natural beauty and spectacular views. The area's favourable climate and plentiful rainfall support a wide variety of flora and fauna.
Beautiful Lake Bohinj, Slovenia's largest, sits in a superb glacially gouged trough, beneath huge cliffs to its north and west end, and is an excellent walking base, with fine walks in every direction. All tastes are catered for, from a tour of the lake and other lower-level saunters (including around the lake and to Slap Savica waterfall), to low peaks to high ridge traverses and summit assaults, including the easiest ascent of great Triglav.
You can ascend Triglav from the Bohinj area, on what is thought to be the easiest (ie least taxing) route. This is a 2-long-day walk with a night at the Dom Planika. Glorious.
PLEASE SEE OUR JULIAN ALPS PAGE FOR FURTHER PHOTOS AND GENERAL AND PRACTICAL INFORMATION INCLUDING:
- BEST TIMES TO WALK/WEATHER
- GETTING THERE/TRANSPORT/PERMITS
- POSSIBLE PROBLEMS, HEALTH AND OTHER PROBLEMS
- GUIDED OR INDEPENDENT
- USEFUL WEBSITES AND INFORMATION
- OTHER THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA
PLEASE help us BY RECOMMENDING YOUR BEST WALKS giving us your comments AND SENDING PHOTOS! Thank you!
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Safety and problems: All walks have inherent risks and potential problems, and many of the walks featured on this website involve significant risks, dangers and problems. Problems of any sort can arise on any walk. This website does not purport to identify any (or all) actual or potential risks, dangers and problems that may relate to any particular walk.
Any person who is considering undertaking this walk should do careful research and make their own assessment of the risks, dangers and possible problems involved. They should also go to “Important information” for further important information.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more