Source of the Ganges and Above
Key information: Source of the Ganges and Above
- A fascinating trek in the company of pilgrims to the source of the Ganges in the "Cow's mouth" at the foot of an ice wall. Trek on to the superb high meadow at Tapovan with its immaculate views of surrounding high Bhagirathi peaks, including superb Shivaling. You can go further on to cross the vast Gangotri Glacier.
- A hugely atmospheric walk, providing an insight into Hindu culture and beliefs.
- Tough walking (tackling terminal moraine in places) in remote mountains, where altitude can cause real problems. Come fully prepared, including proper acclimatization.
This page is at an early stage of development. Please help us by making suggestions and sending photos! Thank you!
- Walkopedia rating94
- Natural interest17
- Human interest12
- Negative points5
- Total rating94
- Note: Negs:altitude, crowds
- Length: 48km/5days, or longer
- Maximum Altitude: 4,450m at Tapovan
- Level of Difficulty: Strenuous
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Safety and problems: All walks have inherent risks and potential problems, and many of the walks featured on this website involve significant risks, dangers and problems. Problems of any sort can arise on any walk. This website does not purport to identify any (or all) actual or potential risks, dangers and problems that may relate to any particular walk.
Any person who is considering undertaking this walk should do careful research and make their own assessment of the risks, dangers and possible problems involved. They should also go to “Important information” for further important information.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more