Key information: Marcadau Valley
- An exceptionally beautiful area of varied walking south-west of the pleasing town of Cauterets. Tough Bala?tous to its west, grand Vignemale to its east.
- This long valley winds up into a high, wild area of bare rock, cascades, patches of meadow and stunted pines, surrounded by the broken border- ridge of the high Pyrenean range, with Refuge Wallon at its heart.
- Cicerone rightly call this is a walkers' paradise, although it can look bleak on a wet day. A huge range of day walks from Wallon, from climbing border-ridge peaks such as the Grande Fache, to exploring side valleys and cols to circuiting the lakes at the heart of the great bowl.
- And you can make the valley part of grand multi-dayers, crossing the high cols to the east below Vignemale to reach the Vallée de Gaube or the Garvarnie area. Or across the southern passes into Spain.
- Refuge Wallon is a cheerful place, but its accommodation is at the basic end.
- This can be tough walking in high, remote mountains, with very unpredictable weather. Come prepared.
This page is at an early stage of development. Please help us by making suggestions and sending photos! Thank you!
For more information and photos, including on wildlife and the landscape and including detailed practical information and some warnings, see our French Pyrenees walk page.
- Walkopedia rating83
- Natural interest16
- Human interest3
- Negative points0
- Total rating83
- Length: Variable
- Maximum Altitude: 3,005m (?)
- Level of Difficulty: Variable
This walk description page is at an early stage of development, and will be expanded over time. Your comments on this walk, your experiences and tips, and your photos are very welcome.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more