Chemin de la Mature
Key information: Chemin de la Mature
- This famous path cut out of a sheer cliff-face was excavated in the C18 as a loggers path to transport timber for masts for the French navy.
- This is a thrilling walk, but not for those who struggle with heights.
- Starting at a bridge some 2km south of Estaut, you can walk the Chemin in 2 hours there and back, or continue on to the Col d'Ayons (at 2,185m) for superb views on to the Pic du Midi d'Ossau, a long day walk there and back. Lonely Planets Walking in France recommends a circuit of some 4 hours which gains high ground and huge views after passing up the Chemin.
This page is at an early stage of development. Please help us by making suggestions and sending photos! Thank you!
For more information and photos, including on wildlife and the landscape and including detailed practical information and some warnings, see our French Pyrenees walk page.
- Walkopedia rating92
- Natural interest15
- Human interest12
- Negative points0
- Total rating92
- Length: 7km upwards
- Maximum Altitude: Up to 2,185m
- Level of Difficulty: Variable
This walk description page is at an early stage of development, and will be expanded over time. Your comments on this walk, your experiences and tips, and your photos are very welcome.
Other accounts: share your experiences
Your comments on this walk, your experiences and suggestions, and your photos are very welcome. Where appropriate, you will be credited for your contribution.
Anyone planning an expedition to this place should see further important information about this walk.
Responsible travel matters, a lot. How you travel will make a real difference - for better or worse. PLEASE consider this when making plans. Read more